Thursday, November 1, 2007

Punkin Bread


I purchased a bunch of sugar pumpkins out at Sauvie's a week ago and have been plotting their demise. Poor sugar pumpkins. Welcome to my belly.

Ginger Pumpkin Bread
2 1/2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 inch piece of fresh ginger grated
1 1/2 cup pumpkin puree canned or fresh
3 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup grapeseed oil
1 cup brown sugar

Mix flour, baking powder & salt together. Mix pumpkin, eggs, ginger, oil, vanilla & sugar together in a separate bowl.wet ingredients. Mix wet & dry together. Put in a greased and floured loaf pan. Bake at 350 for 50 minutes or until center is set.

If you want to use your own fresh pumpkin slice it in half, scoop out the seeds and place each half in foil. Roast in a 400 degree oven about 30-45 minutes or until tender. Scoop out the flesh and press through a mesh sieve for a super smooth puree. I don't mind the threads so I skip that onerous task. Plus more fiber...or something.

Also, microplanes are the coolest. I use this tool ALL THE TIME. I think it is one of my top five favorite kitchen tools. It is specifically useful for grating ginger which can sometimes be too fibrous and difficult to chop or grate.

1 comment:

alyson. said...

mmm... I love pumpkin bread.

and great picture!