Sunday, November 4, 2007

Cranberry Sauce


There is nothing better than fresh, homemade, whole-berry cranberry sauce. When I lived with my sister she used to request that I make this weekly. I like to eat it as is or add it to my morning oatmeal with some toasted walnuts. I use half the sugar that most recipes request because I like the tartness of it. The recipe is just cooking the fresh cranberries in a simple syrup (equal parts sugar and water boiled until syrupy). If you like it sweeter than you can increase the sugar/water ratio.

Cranberry Sauce

1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup water
zest from one satsuma
juice from one satsuma
package fresh cranberries

Place all ingredients in a non-reactive sauce pan (ie. stainless steel) and bring to a boil. Cook until most of the berries have popped. You will know what that means when it happens. If you like a chunkier sauce stop the cooking when few berries have popped. If you like a smoother sauce then wait for most of the berries to pop. Play around to find what you like best.

Cool sauce and store in the fridge.

No comments: