Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Chicken with Fennel & Green Bean Panzenella


I'm not super fond of chicken. I think of it as a filler meat that is way overused in the American diet. I do use it fairly often though. I think chicken broth is great for soups and it seems like meals come together quickly with this as a main.

For a fast supper I use a contemporary twist on the Italian brick cooking technique which is fast and produces a juicy meat and crisp exterior. (Great for game hens.) Sometimes I will roast like I did for this meal.

I choose to cook with whole legs because are more moist and delicious. I pull the skin away and stuff thinly stuffed lemons, smashed garlic and fresh herbs like rosemary and thyme. Then drizzle a little olive oil over the tops, rub it in and salt and pepper the legs. Bake in a 400 degree oven for 30-45 minutes depending on the size of the legs.

I accompanied this with a Fennel & Green Bean Panzanella since I had some leftover bread from the grilled cheese party.

Fennel & Green Bean Panzanella

left over bread cubed
1/2 lb of blanched green beans
1 bulb of fennel shaved
8 artichoke heart quarters - if you can find them frozen get them! trader joes sometimes has them. if not canned is fine but frozen is so much tastier. less tin-y
2 oz chevre - softened
1/4 cup olive oil + extra for drizzling bread cubes
2 tbsp red wine vinegar
salt & pepper


Place bread cubes evenly on a baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and salt and pepper. Bake until toasty in a 400 degree oven. 10 minutes or so.

Combine chevre and olive oil in a bowl. Mix together until smooth. Add vinegar and salt and pepper to taste.

Toss beans, fennel, cooked bread cubes, artichoke hearts and dressing together and serve.

No comments: