Sunday, January 13, 2008

Onion Galettes


I first moved into my own apartment about 3 years ago. It is the apartment right next door to where I live now. I had just broken up with a guy I dated for 2 years. About a month earlier we bought a cute bungalo under the premise that having an extra bedroom would help solve our (ahem) problems. I don't know who thought that sounded like a good idea. And I hope we never said that aloud to anyone outside of the relationship. That was like a $190,000 band-aid that was applied too tightly and cut off my circulation. So I fled while E was on a business trip to Tokyo. To the closest thing I could find. A cute little one bedroom apartment in a newly renovated, 1920's, 4-plex.

Then a year later I moved next door because of the better kitchen.

When I moved I had nothing. No bed, no table, no sofa well no furniture. Maybe a bookcase, blanket and a stereo. You know, basic necessities.

The first thing I went out to buy was a nice set of stainless steel pots and pans and my kitchen table. I was broke, bored and lonely. After work each night I would come home and cook for one. One night I made a whole wheat pie crust with the intention of making a full sized quiche but decided like with most other things in life, it would be cuter (and therefor better) in small, individual servings. It was also a chance for me to experiment with creating a free form pie, quite possibly the most beautiful thing ever. I caramelized some onions, grated gruyere, pressed out mini crusts with my hands, minced some fresh tarragon and put it all together.

Then I waited. Patiently, impatient. For my mini galettes to be finished cooking. And I ate. And I loved. And I have been lovingly eating ever since.

Onion Galettes

1 lb onions of your choice, sliced
4 tbsp butter
1 cup grated gruyere
2 tbsp fresh minced tarragon
1 egg white
s&p

Whole Wheat Paté Brisee

1 cup whole wheat flour
6 tbsp butter
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp ice cold water

Pulse flour, salt and butter together in food processor. Add water until dough forms a ball. Chill until ready to assemble.

Melt butter in a skillet over medium and add the onions, s&p and cook until they begin to brown. Remove from heat and cool slightly.

Portion the dough into six equal pieces. Roll each piece out to a 6" circle. Fill each circle with some gruyere, onions and fresh tarragon and fold the sides up. Place the galettes on a baking sheet and brush the crusts with the egg white. Bake in a 400 degree oven for 12-15 minutes or until the galettes are browned on top.

4 comments:

Jen of MadeByGirl said...

I LOVE YOUR BLOG!! i'm actually going to get my guy to cook some of this stuff...this all looks so yummy and my guy cooks really well.

Jen Ramos
'100% Recycled DESIGNER Cards'
www.madebygirl.com

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Emily Katz said...

Jess,
your blogs are lovely,
i have a food blog too!

www.love-menu.blogspot.com

i think we should run into eachother again!

Sophie said...

These look so tasty and elegant! What a lovely picture, too :D.