Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Lentils and Escarole


My good friend Kate has been learning how to cook with the help of my lovely sister. She told me earlier this week that she wanted to do something with lentils. I was inspired by the cold rainy day and the fresh bunch of escarole in my fridge to make a soup.

Lentil and Escarole Soup

3 cloves garlic minced
1 large red onion chopped
2 carrots chopped
2 stalks of celery chopped
3 tomatoes, peeled and chopped
1 cup french lentils (my choice but you can really use any type of lentil)
6 cups broth
3 bay leaves
1/2 head of escarole, roughly chopped (could substitute kale if escarole is not available)
salt and pepper
olive oil

Saute the garlic, onion, carrot and celery in olive oil until soft. Add the lentils, broth, tomatoes and bay leaves. Cook for about an hour or until lentils are cooked. Stir in escarole and cook until wilted about 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.

Croutons:
2 slices grain-y bread
olive oil
salt and pepper
romano

Cut bread into cubes and toss with olive oil, grated cheese, salt and pepper. Lay flat on baking sheet and broil until crisp.

Top soup with croutons and complete meal with some nice fall fruit. Like an asian pear. Mmmm asian pear...

1 comment:

kat(i)e and devin said...

Yes! Thanks, Jess. I've been trying to figure out what I was going to do with the rest of my rainy, chilly Tuesday afternoon. I'm going to make lentil soup!