Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Grilled Cheese Please!


I think this has officially turned into an annual thing. At least for me it has. I think I would even do it by myself if no one else wanted to participate.

Last Saturday I was graced with the company of fabulous friends timber, kel, aly and levi for an evening of grilled cheese, fresh pears from sauvie's, ciders and seasonal ales. (I love me some seasonal ales.) Rounding it out the evening were two episodes of the greatest show - EVER and a fabulous hot toddy with pear brandy at moloko plus.

I highly recommend this as a casual dinner party with friends. It is super easy to through together, fairly inexpensive and easy to clean up. Paper plates go great with grilled cheese. I think that is an unspoken rule.

Here were the combinations:

#1
Brie, Carmelized Shallots, Arugula and Dijon on Bagette.
We scooped out the insides of the bagette, stuffed it, pressed it and baked it.

#2
Roasted Beet and Chevre on Rosemary Bread.
For this we assembled the sandwiches and buttered the outside bread pieces with some fabulous Plugra and fried it the traditional way.

#3
Gouda, heirloom tomato and chili flakes on grain-y wheat levain.
I always like to do two in the oven and two on the stove. That way it cuts donw on cooking time. Timber had the fabulous idea of this being open faced and broiled. We sprinkled the chili flakes on after they were cooked.

#4
Gorgonzola and honey on walnut bread.
Grilled traditionally and then lightly drizzled with honey.

No comments: