Monday, July 23, 2007

Soup in Summer?

Yes kids, soup in the summer.

Somewhere along the way somebody decided that since I hadn't been sick all year...I should be now. I mean a serious cold. Stuffy nose, chest congestion, aches, cough, you name it.

I say "serious colds call for serious comfort food," and this my friends is the coziest of all.

Cauliflower Stilton Soup.

1- head cauliflower cut into florets
1- onion chopped
2 tbsp olive or grape seed oil
3- bay leaves
1- bunch of fresh thyme
4 cups of stock (i choose chicken)
¼ cup heavy cream
½ cup crumbled stilton
salt and lots o' fresh ground pepper

Saute the onion in oil until soft in a soup pot. Add the cauliflower and saute for five more minutes. Place the fresh thyme, bay leaves and stock into the pot and simmer for about 45 minutes until all the cauliflower is super tender.



Let soup cool a little so you don't burn your hands in the next few steps, like me.

Remove the thyme stems and all the bay leaves. If you have an immersion blender (otherwise known as the coolest thing ever!) use that to puree the soup. If not, use a blender or food processor and work in batches. After all the soup is smooth, stir in the heavy cream, stilton and season to taste with salt and pepper.



Mmmmm. It is making me feel better just thinking about it.

No comments: